MARC-Hawaiiʻs mission is “Hoʻoulu nā laeʻula akeakamai”, a Hawaiian phrase meaning good mentoring leads to well-trained scientists. Therefore, the MARC-Hawaii strives to provide training in biological research for a diverse group of UHM students, who are underrepresented in the sciences. The Ma Mua MARC (Pre-MARC) program encourages underrepresented freshmen and sophomore STEM majors to consider research as a career option, invites them to attend MARC functions, and creates a community of peers.
The two-year Ma Mua MARC program is summarized in Table 1. Each year includes 2 MARC events, a summer socializing event, as well as, meeting with current MARC Scholars and Graduate students and Faculty.
- Interact with Graduate Students, Professors, etc.
- Gain insight about research and careers in STEM
- Meet and build rapport with other like-minded students
- UHM freshmen or sophomores in STEM majors
- Underrepresented in science
Ma Mua MARC Student Expectations
- Attend a MARC event once a semester